Thursday, September 3, 2009

The IDEA!

SOO, I'm trying to start this new thing!!! Drum roll please...............................I want to have a "Standards Prom" this year instead of going to the normal high school senior prom. We had a fireside at church (like 2 weeks ago) about why you should go to prom (because girls have been dreaming of prom their whole life.) The guy that spoke was really a great speaker and he made a lot of really good points. So it got me thinking...why is the church TELLING us to go to the prom. They are obviously too old to realize what happens on and off the dance floor. I just want to have a safe, fun , and appropriate prom to remember! So i've been talking to one of the stake leaders who is going to help me try to get the idea approved. He says there are a lot of hoops to jump through but he's gonna try his hardest to help the event actualy happen.

Right now I still haven't thought of a good name to name the prom thing. The only thing I can think of is "Stardards Prom" I know it's not very good so if you actualy read this please give me some ideas. I want a name that shows what we're trying to accomplish by having the prom. Which is, teenagers wanting to keep their standards help high and not to lower them down to the standards of the world. Also to show that you can still have a good time without involving all the dirty dancing and the traditional "prom night."

It's also not going to be specificaly for Mormons. I know some people that have said how they would just want to get dressed up and go to dinner on prom night. So this would be a great way to still have a fun prom.

So tell me what you think about this idea PLEASE!! It would really help me out :)

Peace :p

5 comments:

  1. I think it's a good idea... I was reading the comments on your fb and can see the perspective of both sides. That said, I don't think it's necessary to subject yourself to an atmosphere that you already know you don't approve of. It's ok to have standards! And expectations. I wonder if your school class would be open to having an "honor contract" or something like that to clean up the prom. I think people still like heroes...someone who stands up for what they believe. That way you're keeping your standards as well as helping others. Just an idea. It would be cheaper and less work than hosting a completely separate prom. Are you on student council or anything?! Otherwise, good luck on your "Alternative Prom". "Better-than-standard-Prom"... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not in student council but i'm friends with the student body president so I can talk to him. Good idea and "Alternative Prom" would be a much better name than mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what happened to my last comment, so I'll add it again... Time to update the blog, Andrew! :)

    ReplyDelete